Tuesday 31 January 2012

Character Interviews

The other option besides doing "I Wonder" statements this week is a little tougher, and a little more creative. In this space, I'm going to pretend to interview a fictional character from People of Sparks. I have to make up all of the answers as well as the questions, and the answers have to be part of the book. I can't just make a character say something for fun. It has to be close to the book in order to make sense.

Mr. Reilly: Hi Torren, I understand that you're feeling kind of frustrated about the people of Ember showing up in your town, Sparks.
Torren: Yeah, I really am! These people are useless, and they don't know anything!
MR: They don't know anything at all?
T: No! Well, they know a little bit about some things. But they're really weird, and they took my room!
MR: They took your room?
T: Yeah! Three of them stay there all the time. My stupid aunt told them they could stay there to rest. And they still haven't left yet!
MR: Do you think they'll leave anytime soon?
T: No! They'll probably be here forever! Although my aunt says we'll kick them out by the cold time.
MR: You said earlier that they were useless. What did you mean by that?
T: I meant that they don't know how to do anything! They can't farm, they can't cook anything like us, and they don't even know how to get water from the river.
MR: Is there some things they know how to do that you don't?
T: Of course not! I'm way smarter than all of these blunderheads! I wish they'd just hurry up and leave so that it could get back to normal around here.
MR: Thanks for your time today, Torren.
T: No problem, anything to get these people out of here sooner!

Notice how I tried to make Torren sound a little whiny and a lot mad here, just like in the book. I think that he would say all of the things above based on how he feels and acts through Chapter 5.

1 comment: